A graduate of the University of Benin, Akin Onipede works primarily as a visual artist. His first of many exhibits took place at the National Museum, Lagos; he also co-edited the book Creative traditions in Nigerian art, Culture and Creative Art forum (2003). Onipede entered briefly into the world of journalism when he served as a political cartoonist for a popular Nigerian newspaper, The Punch. However, in 2003, he returned to his studio to paint full time.
- Alakam, Japhet. “The Beauty Within Akin Onipede’s Canvass…” Vanguard. March 26, 2009. Accessed October 3, 2013.
- Njoku, Benjamin. “Akin Onipede: One artist, too many visual energies.” Vanguard. Date Unknown. Accessed October 3, 2013.
- Ademuleya, Babasehinde, Akin Onipede and Mike Omoighe. Creative traditions in Nigerian art, Culture and Creative Art forum. Lagos, Nigeria: Culture and Creative Art Forum, 2003.
- Akatakpo, Don, Kunle Filani, and Akin Onipede. Havest of Sensations: An Exhibition of Drawings and Paintings. Nigeria? : s.n., 1994.
- “Different strokes”: An Exhibition, Paintings and Drawings by Akin Onipede, venue, National Museum Onikan, date, 4th May 1991. Lagos, Nigeria: A. Onipede, 1991.